Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 04:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Nice Jag! Good on Marino!
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 07:49 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

That is a lovely Jag. It looks as though it has been well cared for. Here in the U.S. luxury cars rapidly depreciate in value after seven or eight years such that the cost of maintaining a high end car can exceed its value. If it was Marino who kept it in that nice condition then he earned it.
Telemaster Sales UK (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

In the background you may see Marino's wife's Mercedes Benz. her previous car a Mazda sports car which neither of them like because it's too uncomfortable and his old Hyundai van which refuses to die so Marino uses it to go back and forth to work! I don't know anything about the black car in the rear. Perhap's it's a customer's car who has arranged to pick it up from Marino's home.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:55 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I asked the following question on "Glow Nation," on a well-known social media site. My post has been moved "lower in the feed" because it appears to incite violence! You couldn't make this up could you?

Big Brother is indeed watching you.

"We moved one of your posts lower in Feed.

David John DavisGlow Nation
odnSeorspt7i6uhh10113ufh2gguig4m00c1a2iu671m5c646f gtg9t21c52 ·
Most of my four-stroke engines audibly lose a few revs when I remove the glow igniter from the glow plug on start up, otherwise they run perfectly.
Does this mean that I have the low speed needle set too rich?
After having used glow engines for over fifty years I really should know the answer to this question!

What happened
Our technology showed that this post looks like others that go against our Community Standards for Violence and incitement.
We don't allow people on Facebook to share content that leads to a genuine risk of physical harm, or a direct threat to public safety"
Old 04-11-2024, 07:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

This is what happens when they stop the random drug testing in the workplace!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:34 PM
David John Davis

I had another Big Brother experience yesterday when applying for a new British Driving Licence. Once you turn 70 in the UK you have to apply for a new driving licence every three years. They needed to know lots of information including my National Insurance Number and my Passport Number both of which I considered to be irrelevant. However, in the final stage of the application I was told that my new licence needed a new photograph. I had the option of using the photo on my passport which I opted for as it was the simplest option.

So the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency, the Department of Work and Pensions and the Passport Office all seem to have lots of information about me which is accessible by all three institutions!

My passport expires in June so I intend to apply for a new one during the next few days. I wonder what delights that process will throw up!

Beautiful weather forecast here for the next few days, ideal for Baron flying practice.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

You would be surprised all the places and how much information is floating out there about all of us!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:01 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

On a lighter note we had perfect flying weather this morning and after two flights on the buddy box where I did not have to take control at all from take off to landing, I persuaded my trainee Frans, to fly his first solo flight on the Radio Queen. I'm pleased to be able to report that this was emminently successful!

The following 2 users liked this post by Telemaster Sales UK:
Clean (04-16-2024), Flicker (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 07:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Way to go Frans!
Telemaster Sales UK (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 02:44 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
This is what happens when they stop the random drug testing in the workplace!
I've been 'randomly' selected the last 3 times in a row!
Old 04-12-2024, 08:39 PM
David John Davis

In fairness to the well-known social network site they reinstated my post after I objected. For the life of me I can't see anything violent or inciteful in my original post.

Excellent flying weather is predicted for the weekend so I'll be getting in some more Baron flying practice,

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-12-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:47 PM
David John Davis

We've had lovely weather in central France from Friday to Sunday with temperatures topping 20C (68F). Real tee shirt and shorts weather. I have been practising flying the Barons, trying different props, fuel tanks and fuels. All good but the throttle barrel on the Magnum on the British Baron worked loose. I'll have a look at it later in the workshop. If necessary I can replace the engine. I have at least four OS four-stroke 48s or 52s.

Busy day in prospect today. The club is staging a qualification day on Sunday doubtless with a good barbeque too. There are two main qualifications. The "Brevet A" which is a bit like passing your driving test and the QPDD which is a qualification for those who wish to fly at a public event. I already hold both. We are expecting at least a dozen candidates and two judges from other clubs. A call has gone out for volunteers to cut the grass this afternoon so I'd best get up, get dressed, take the dog for a walk, make two breakfasts, unload the models from the van and load the motor mower, hedge trimmer and strimmer!
Old 04-16-2024, 05:14 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis
In fairness to the well-known social network site they reinstated my post after I objected. For the life of me I can't see anything violent or inciteful in my original post.
Couple years ago I cancelled all my social media accounts. I got here and there, flagged for simply reposting another's, or made some innoculous comment that was against the P)owers T)o B)e narratives. (You gottah wonder what they are trying to hide.

I don't miss those ultra-wealthy owned monopolies. Gone are the old days, where on the various lesser platforms, AOL, Compuserve, etc., rules were as long as you didn't use vulgar language, verbally, nastily attack someone, didn't solicit SPAM, and you kept reasonably true to the topic, you could opine whatever you wished.

Worst is in the model airplane forums. In their other topics forum, I could not understand sharing a point contrary that I even had a factual basis on, but seemed to strike someone's nerve. Then received a negative borderline insulting reaction. Why can't people normally converse? I.e., "I hear your point, but I disagree with you for the following reasons: 1) ... 2) ... 3) etc.

Seems people have lost the art of normal conversation. Seems they no longer teach debates class in high school anymore?
Old 04-16-2024, 05:31 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I flew in the front yard several times this past week. NOT today, which started out with a Tornado warning around 10:00am and ended at 10:30 which was convenient because I had a vet visit with my Dog at an office an hour away. She's fine and the tornado? Sky didn't even get dark here. I did have 34 mph winds for peak though. Ahh, springtime.
My local club is planning an event on Saturday, winds to be in the mid teens for that. Sunday looks nice. i of course have Grandchildren Soccer, both days.
I've got a broody hen sitting on 9 eggs. Should start hatching a week from Friday.

Never a dull moment. Dull mind? That'
s a different question.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clean:
David John Davis (04-16-2024), GallopingGhostler (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:53 AM
Rotorhead58D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy, newbie here. Is there an initiation ritual on this forum or can I immediately start offending others with my opinions?
mgnostic (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Rotorhead58D
Howdy, newbie here. Is there an initiation ritual on this forum or can I immediately start offending others with my opinions?
Go for it! We are all a bunch of curmudgeons anyway!
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
GallopingGhostler (04-17-2024), Rotorhead58D (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:18 AM
Rotorhead58D

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Go for it! We are all a bunch of curmudgeons anyway!
Awesome! I used to fly RC Heli's a few years back. I had a few 700 size electrics and mostly was a sport flyer and very mild 3D. My DX7 is pretty much obsolete now so I dove right into the new age and got a iX 14 and a few foamies. Also got the newest realflight simulator. I am an AMA member and found a club ten minutes away from my house. I have figured out the TX after watching 14 million youtube videos and have managed to program all 4 of my planes and have maidened them all. No crashes so far (knock on genuine imitation simulated wood). The next club meeting is this Saturday so I will be attending that. I have spent more money in the past month then I have in 10 years on this hobby. lol
Telemaster Sales UK (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:18 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Couple years ago I cancelled all my social media accounts. I got here and there, flagged for simply reposting another's, or made some innoculous comment that was against the P)owers T)o B)e narratives. (You gottah wonder what they are trying to hide.

I don't miss those ultra-wealthy owned monopolies. Gone are the old days, where on the various lesser platforms, AOL, Compuserve, etc., rules were as long as you didn't use vulgar language, verbally, nastily attack someone, didn't solicit SPAM, and you kept reasonably true to the topic, you could opine whatever you wished.

Worst is in the model airplane forums. In their other topics forum, I could not understand sharing a point contrary that I even had a factual basis on, but seemed to strike someone's nerve. Then received a negative borderline insulting reaction. Why can't people normally converse? I.e., "I hear your point, but I disagree with you for the following reasons: 1) ... 2) ... 3) etc.

Seems people have lost the art of normal conversation. Seems they no longer teach debates class in high school anymore?

I too just cut the strings with the popular social media, or I'd say social disease, sites for the exact same reasons. Getting dinged for something not even remotely related to being vulgar while seeing extremely offensive content being ignored.
The following 2 users liked this post by scottrc:
GallopingGhostler (04-17-2024), Telemaster Sales UK (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Awesome! I used to fly RC Heli's a few years back. I had a few 700 size electrics and mostly was a sport flyer and very mild 3D. My DX7 is pretty much obsolete now so I dove right into the new age and got a iX 14 and a few foamies. Also got the newest realflight simulator. I am an AMA member and found a club ten minutes away from my house. I have figured out the TX after watching 14 million youtube videos and have managed to program all 4 of my planes and have maidened them all. No crashes so far (knock on genuine imitation simulated wood). The next club meeting is this Saturday so I will be attending that. I have spent more money in the past month then I have in 10 years on this hobby. lol
Well I would argue Helis don't fly they are so ugly they are repulsed by the earth! I warned you! You should try building something it's a lot of fun! And you aren't stuck with something that looks like everyone else's airplane. You can find some easy builds here: https://oldschoolmodels.com/rc-kits.htm
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
Rotorhead58D (04-17-2024), Telemaster Sales UK (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:29 AM
Rotorhead58D

Someday after I retire I will do that.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:30 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

DX7 obsolete?

Wow, I 'm still flying with a Futaba FG in a Goldberg Eagle and Skylark. My newest radio is the DX6 that flies my foamies. Welcome back to the hobby.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Someday after I retire I will do that.
For me that will be between Dec 2024 and April 2025.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Welcome back Rotorhead! Fellow rotor head here, though I'm over flying 3D and fly mostly scale now unless I'm helping someone out.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:33 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
DX7 obsolete?

Wow, I 'm still flying with a Futaba FG in a Goldberg Eagle and Skylark. My newest radio is the DX6 that flies my foamies. Welcome back to the hobby.
I'm running a DX6 myself and the only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is wear and tear and it took a shelf dive a couple of years ago and broke off the antenna cover.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:52 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm offended that you would ask such a question!
Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has a couple and they usually stink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.