Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Brian,

I doubt David will take offense. My comment was merely in support of this thread which is about Don't work on the composite fuses and eventually on their wing/stab cores.

I understand entirely where you are coming from but rest assured that there is not much ARF sympathy in this forum! Heck, we've got fellas producing molds at the rate of two a month!

If you've never followed one of Don's wood build threads, it's worth while - the guy builds complex models fast! I assume that is something one is just born with - the talent for speed.

How're your kids turning out Don? Any sprinters? I used to be fast in my bygone youth...[]

David.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Funny, they all are running cross country. No sprinters. I guess a life time of constructon of shopping centers and custom homes has made me organized in my approach to building models also. I do a plan and just usually spend one day cutting out all the parts. Then from that point on it's the same as bulding a kit. No big deal to scratch build if you think about it. If you can build a kit, that is.

I 'm building a Wild Beat right now and finishing up a 1/3 scale Ultimate and a 1/3 scale Pitts S1S. I have also to do a mold for a Bootlegger and then I am waiting for more donners to make more molds.

I just finished a Custom Home for a client today. But they added a little extra electrical work, so I have a couple of more days to do that. Then the plan is to spend some time on setting up the CNC Hot Wire machine so I can begin cutting Wing and turtle deck cores again.

I'm hoping to get cutting by Thanksgiving.

I have a couple of new modern pattern planes of my own design to do once I can cut the cores. I've already do the composite fuselage plugs and need to make molds for them also.

I've had a zillion request for foam cores and I guess that should be on top of my to do list. There are days though I just like to build some of my stuff. Don't want to burn out making to much work out of a Hobby you know.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frequent flyer

Because I read a lot of people are interested in “making molds†themselves I did look for an article about health, written in the right language.
Did find one about epoxy also in other products so interesting for us all to read:

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/epoxy-allergy.html

What should I do to avoid epoxy resin allergy.

More to write in this thread? No, but attention for health and which materials to use to protect did let me add this last post.
Of course it is still possible you do not use epoxy or you are not sensitive, in that case the info maybe is interesting for other members to read.

Have fun with modeling.

Cees
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
doxilia

Well,

there you have it folks - Don's secret!

Hey Don, I'd like to build a home in the country one day, perhaps I could consult with your expertise. Actually, it a ways a way at the moment so I better focus on more practical matters.

Say, it would be very interesting to see your build of the Wild Beat. Would you care to do a simple "snaps only" thread?

David.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering about the wild beat myself.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
frequent flyer

Sure , I'll post my build pictures. I got the rib patterns from dahl22 but have had to one by one make the fuselage formers and other parts from what info I could get off the plans. Hope it is acurate to the original. I still have to do the tail ribs . I wish I had the patterns to those.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM
dhal22

if i would have known how rare it was i would have traced every part. too late as the fuse is mostly done.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
frequent flyer

It's OK I've just about got it. I have Comp u Fol and I can generate he tail ribs. It has gotten to be these days that any kit is rare . I trace all parts of every kit I build. If nothing else just to have parts to rebuild or repair down the road.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Parallel/Sister thread to this one is finally all caught up, with what I think has more content.
Not what we originally had in, but Okay I guess.
I’ll be updating with NEW information there FIRST as its available!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322972

Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

if i would have known how rare it was i would have traced every part. too late as the fuse is mostly done.
I have a friend that builds a lot of old control line models. Whenever he finds an old, out of production kit he only uses the kit for patterns and never actually builds the original. He basically scratch builds the model and adds the original kit to his archives. He's got a lot of kits! [X(]
Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM
frequent flyer

That's what I do also. I like to make the molds for all the canopies, cowls, wheel pants and whatever else I can. It started a long time ago..... I used to crash alot.[X(]
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: R_G

ORIGINAL: dhal22

I have a friend that builds a lot of old control line models. Whenever he finds an old, out of production kit he only uses the kit for patterns and never actually builds the original. He basically scratch builds the model and adds the original kit to his archives. He's got a lot of kits! [X(]

Ralph, the flip side of building the kit vs copying (especially MK kits) is the sheer joy of all the parts numbered, cut and ready to glue.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
frequent flyer

Hey Paul
This is a P8 and wing pan for you. Still doing a little last minute body work on that Bootleger fuselage. I had it all ready to mold and I saw a couple of small waves that I had to fix. Sould be waxing it up again tommorow and molding this weekend as long as the warm weather hangs around. I also got my CNC foam cutter moved from my Motorcycle shop to my Airplane shop. I'm waiting for a few new parts for the electronics and I'll be cuuting cores.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47549.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1547232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25853.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1547233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33990.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1547234  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
frequent flyer

Hey Paul

I also made a Speeda for you.

Name:	Tq48635.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1547242  
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
doxilia

Schweeet!

Is that a vertical foam cutter Don?

David.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
frequent flyer

Hi David

I don't know what you mean by vertical? I lay the form flat to cut the cores, with the span of the wing between the two towers. It's a four axis cnc. I can cut to about 54" max span and around 34" max root .
I need a capacitor and it seems nobody has one. 10,000uf , 40VDC.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 AM
dhal22

Don, wow, looks nice. I gotta get some of those.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer

Hi David

I don't know what you mean by vertical? I lay the form flat to cut the cores, with the span of the wing between the two towers. It's a four axis cnc. I can cut to about 54'' max span and around 34'' max root .

Try here:
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...acitor&FS=True

and here:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll

Also try Allied electronics.com and Newark Electroonics

Good luck,
Robert
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer

Hi David

I don't know what you mean by vertical? I lay the form flat to cut the cores, with the span of the wing between the two towers. It's a four axis cnc. I can cut to about 54'' max span and around 34'' max root .

Epcos

(Conrad sells these capacitors in europe!)

Cees

Name:	Vt58515.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1547528  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:46 AM
Taurus Flyer

BTW,

You can take a number of capacitors in parallel, but I assume you know!
3 x 3300 uF, 4 or 5 x 2200 uf

Cees
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
frequent flyer

Cees , thanks for that, I had that thought, but wasn't sure. That would certainly make things a whole lot easier. It seems here is the USA the big ones are all imported, which really drives up the cost.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Taurus Flyer

Frequent flyer,

Of course the 40 VDC is important for all, higher capacitor voltages are no problem, 63 VDC for example.
Last point is diameter of wiring, if you do not connect them directly together, don't use thinner wires than the capacitor wires.

Cees
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Hey Paul
This is a P8
Hey Paul

I also made a Speeda
Don, as always they look Great!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
frequent flyer

Building Fiberglass fuselages for the Wild Beat, Aurora 60 & the MK Beatle.

What are you thoughts for these? I had planned to build fuselages with plug in wings so I can add wing adjusters . I would also have foam core wings. Easier to stuff ion the car you know.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just found this thread, everything see is good, or great. Plug in wing's on the classic birds, and wing adjuster's ? Certainly a plus. Are you making kit's, etc., on request ?

Crank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.