Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Popular Science article

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Popular Science article

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popular Science article

https://www.popsci.com/big-fight-over-little-airplanes
Old 05-24-2018, 05:36 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I detect an air of condescension by the author as we`re all included as "children playing with our toys".
Old 05-25-2018, 04:57 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
I detect an air of condescension by the author as we`re all included as "children playing with our toys".
Isn't that what we are????

Sounds about right to me....

Astro
Old 05-25-2018, 06:21 AM
Stickslammer

I don`t believe so, but if that is what an increasing majority of the population thinks, than this hobby is truly doomed.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:52 AM
fliers1

More than once I had spectators snidely remark "aren't you a little old to be playing with toys?" It's a combination of thinking flying rc airplanes as toys and on the other end of the spectrum as it being very intimidating.
If I were to ask spectators if they would like to give it a try, 99% of the time they said that they were sure they would immediately crash and that would mean a very costly endeavor. After assuring them they wouldn't crash, I would let them fly my trainer. After a few minutes of flying, they would take a 180 perspective and become very interested. Even those who made those "toy" remarks I managed to persuade to fly took a much different attitude. Seems that after they flew for a few minutes they had a hard time to stop shaking. Toys...yeah, right. lol
Old 05-26-2018, 04:34 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few of my buddies think/thought they are "kids' toys" also. then I showed them a box of balsa wood and told them to build me one of those "kids' toy airplanes" with this stuff. most of them just called me a "smart a** ",....but I haven't heard any of them call them "kid's toys" any more.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:59 AM
fliers1

Many times when I suggested that they give it a try, they would come up with many excuses, like they have no interest. Once I twisted their arms by double dog daring them by saying, "If you're afraid of not being able to fly my "toy" airplane, I understand". Once they felt they had no choice and got a few minutes on the sticks, all of a sudden, they became very interested. I found out when someone claims to have no interest, what they are really saying is they're afraid of giving it a try. Of course their ego won't allow them to come right out and admit that they're scared. lol
Old 05-27-2018, 03:40 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
It doesn’t sound condescending to me. He addresses the hobbyist and the start some giants in aviation got as children playing with toy airplanes. He spends more than a few lines about how many other children have fueled their imagination by being able to readily access the hobby. The AMA is struggling to keep it open to all including our children. After all these models like snowmobiles, boats, RVs, ATVs. etc. are not necessities so they too are in a way toys. Many including adults consider them mere toys for entertainment while others can take it to the extreme building very complex and superior grade flying machines. Except for a very few it’s all done in the name of recreation and relaxation. I think that is where the reference to being toys originates from.

More than once he seems to poke fun at the FAA for taking things a bit too serious. One reference that comes to mind is that of an overweight paper airplane having to be registered. I would think not many have built paper airplanes that large though it might be something to see.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:05 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by Propworn
It doesn’t sound condescending to me. He addresses the hobbyist and the start some giants in aviation got as children playing with toy airplanes. He spends more than a few lines about how many other children have fueled their imagination by being able to readily access the hobby. The AMA is struggling to keep it open to all including our children. After all these models like snowmobiles, boats, RVs, ATVs. etc. are not necessities so they too are in a way toys. Many including adults consider them mere toys for entertainment while others can take it to the extreme building very complex and superior grade flying machines. Except for a very few it’s all done in the name of recreation and relaxation. I think that is where the reference to being toys originates from.

More than once he seems to poke fun at the FAA for taking things a bit too serious. One reference that comes to mind is that of an overweight paper airplane having to be registered. I would think not many have built paper airplanes that large though it might be something to see.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:18 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it wasn't condescension,.....rather,.... it was an air of sarcasm directed towards those who think our planes are silly toys that little boys play with. if those people only knew the fortunes and technology we have stuck into those silly toys !.